Running Motivation

Home/Djibouti Life, Running/Running Motivation

Running Motivation

I don’t want to run. Anymore.

Its hot and it isn’t even that hot yet. I’m tired of people staring and laughing and mimicking my highly un-athletic running form.

Tired of the same old view of garbage and exhaust-spewing lorries and men urinating behind bushes and roadkill. Even my path through the desert that used to be me, the sunrise, and flamingos is now a construction site as the US military expands to the ocean.

Tired of going it alone.

I’m sure I’ll get it back. I hope I get it back, that urge to hit the road or the path.

lazy7

Can I just lazy around for a while and eat chocolate and sleep?

What works to make you pull on the shoes and get out the door? I know some of you battle -20 degree temperatures, what do you do when you just plain don’t want to?

By |February 4th, 2013|Categories: Djibouti Life, Running|Tags: , |17 Comments

1. Joy February 4, 2013 at 12:53 pm - Reply

I do something else. Then I start reading about running. I start reading about races. I start reading about olympic runners. I start reading about those who are running with disabilities.

Then…one step at a time…I start again. I go a short distance so I feel good. I go a short distance so I feel satisfied. Then I go a bit longer…..and longer….

You can do it. And if you decide you don’t want to right now…give yourself a break. It’ll come back.

• Rachel Pieh Jones February 4, 2013 at 3:48 pm - Reply

These are great suggestions, thanks Joy. I need to whip out an old Runner’s World or something. I also need to find a running partner. Sometimes its hard because I’m training for something so the newbie can’t go as long or fast but now would be a good time to snag someone else along for the ride. Er, run.

2. Amber February 4, 2013 at 8:31 pm - Reply

You might only need a running partner to get you going. If you’re with a newbie, start out together. When they need to stop, you are all warmed up and can keep going! My husband does this with me 🙂

I do agree with giving yourself a break when you need it.

• Rachel Pieh Jones February 5, 2013 at 6:01 am - Reply

I did invite a newbie to come with me next Monday and am actually looking forward to it – that’s a good sign!

3. Emily February 4, 2013 at 10:07 pm - Reply

Is it a running issue or something else all together? The phrase, “Tired of going it alone.” makes me question it. If it is a running issue, than all those other comments are good. Also, has the running club started up again? Maybe that could give you some inspiration.

• Rachel Pieh Jones February 5, 2013 at 6:02 am - Reply

Hmmm, good thing to think about. Probably there are deeper things at work here. Our coworkers come back from having a baby in just a few weeks – maybe that will help with the ‘alone’ feeling.

4. d.l. mayfield February 5, 2013 at 1:48 am - Reply

this might sound so silly, but are there any races you could train for? i know you just did one, so maybe you need to take a break and then regroup around another goal. i just got over being sick, but the temps are going to be in the 30s tomorrow, so i think i must give it a go (and i think i might sign up for a half-marathon, which would be my longest race ever!)

• Rachel Pieh Jones February 5, 2013 at 6:04 am - Reply

30s! That is perfect running weather. I’ve heard it has been a cold, cold winter in MN. A good welcome for you! I actually AM training for a race – just my own half marathon but now I’m dreading it. There are a few local races but they don’t let women run anymore unless it is that French one I did. But I will still say to you – go for it – sign up for that half! And saying that to you will maybe help motivate me to do mine.

5. alana February 5, 2013 at 5:00 am - Reply

im still struggling to get the shoes on and get running…for me its finding the time to do it while looking after the kids. hope you find your inspiration again soon!

• Rachel Pieh Jones February 5, 2013 at 6:05 am - Reply

It is so much harder when the kids are little. I wasn’t even going to post this one because it sounded a bit whiny ,but I’m glad I did. Just hearing from you guys makes me want to get out again. Thanks!

6. Nicolas February 7, 2013 at 11:26 am - Reply

I’m glad it is over, I saw you this morning on La Siesta 😉

• Rachel Pieh Jones February 7, 2013 at 11:40 am - Reply

Ah, you caught me! I had been training for my own silly little half marathon, trying to break 2 hours. Wanted to do it before it gets too hot but I’d been dreading it. So this morning was the ‘race.’ And I did it! I suppose I’ll have to keep running now. Darn. But I did wrangle a friend into joining me next week, hopefully that will help a lot.

7. Kelsey March 3, 2013 at 11:18 am - Reply

I’m struggling to find motivation to run too! We have lived here in Peru for about 7 months now and I have only gone out a handful of times. I can’t find any sort of halfway decent or relaxing route, the 8,500 ft elevation (coming from sea level) makes me feel like my lungs will explode, and I despise the cat calls. How did you start out running abroad? Did you feel safe from the get-go or did it take some time?

• Rachel Pieh Jones March 3, 2013 at 2:18 pm - Reply

I didn’t start running until we’d lived in Africa for almost five years. And it took a new staff member to get me out. She had run marathons and wanted to but I was sort of in charge of safety issues and told her she couldn’t go alone. She said, “Okay, you’re coming with me!” Our conversations on the run were what really hooked me and then I started going longer and alone. But learning the safe/interesting routes and how to handle the cat calls with someone by my side made all the difference, I think. This recent bout with lacking motivation still lingers a bit but I have wrangled a new runner into coming with me and again I’m feeling like the conversations we have are what makes me willing to roll out of bed. And now she is saying what I said – that she wouldn’t have had the courage to try it on her own. Is there anyone you could run with? We don’t have elevation but we have heat…but think how strong you’ll be!

• Kelsey March 4, 2013 at 11:00 am - Reply

Well, that makes me feel better! 🙂 Yes, the biggest hindrance for me is the lack of a running partner, especially a running partner that has a similar schedule. Working that around little kids makes it tough too. Until I can make it work I will just do my cheesy workout videos in the comfort of my home. I better go put on my unitard…and 1, and 2, and 1, and 2 (please know I am kidding…I don’t own a unitard). 🙂

• Rachel Pieh Jones March 4, 2013 at 12:29 pm - Reply

Oh no, no unitards! On non-running days (I mean days I just don’t want to run but still want a good workout) I do P90X or Insanity workouts – those kick my butt. Hope you find a running friend soon!

8. […] everything is. Our souls and bodies and minds and relationships. When my spirit is heavy, my runs slow down. When my body is weak, my relationship with friends suffer. When I raise my hands in church, my […]