The Expat Mom and Her Hairdresser, at Babble

Home/africa, Djibouti Life, Expat Thoughts, Writing/The Expat Mom and Her Hairdresser, at Babble

The Expat Mom and Her Hairdresser, at Babble

Ever had a bad haircut? Ever had a bad haircut overseas? Want to read about the search for a decent hairdresser and see photographic evidence of the not-so-decent hairdresser results? Here’s an excerpt and click through to Babble for the rest.

some haircuts just need to be covered up

some haircuts just need to be covered up

The Expat Mom and Her Hairdresser

There are some people who must never leave developing countries. Quality hairdressers are one of them. If they are fellow expats, I think their entry visas should read: not allowed to leave the country until equally talented replacement found.

I don’t consider myself a person overly concerned with hair. I live in Djibouti for crying out loud (which I do sometimes when it gets too hot), where showers are salty, sun wicked strong, and ponytails mandatory six months out of the year. But there is something comforting about having a good haircut, ponytail or not. Something that says, ‘even when I can’t figure out my kid’s French homework and the car tires have exploded from the heat and the electricity cut out again and I just want to have a three-day-non-stop heart to heart with my best friend, my hair still looks good.’

New expats come to Djibouti and want to know: where is the cheddar cheese? Um, Dubai? Where is the brown sugar? Um, Kenya. Where can I buy a decent bra? Um, order one. And while you’re at it, order me one, too. Where can I get a good haircut? Well…

Click here to read more about expat moms and the search for a decent cut at Into Africa on Babble.

1. Marilyn June 12, 2013 at 11:20 am - Reply

Cannot wait to read the rest of this….there was the time when I went in with long hair, thinking I would come out long and curly and I came out like a shorn lamb….and there was the time when my friend came out looking like a flower. Yes – complete with petals. This is a huge subject!

Rachel Pieh Jones June 12, 2013 at 11:34 am - Reply

With flowers?! haha! (can I laugh at someone else’s bad hair?) I think yes, as long as I let her laugh at mine, and I say, she can.

2. Heidi June 12, 2013 at 12:00 pm - Reply

I love this Rachel! Josh just got his haircut last week, complete with head and neck massage, and he looks great. But me? Just thinking about trying to find a place that cut mine makes me quiver with nervousness. And all the while, my hair get longer and my ends get splittier. Maybe I’ll have to save up for the expensive wazungu salon, just like you did. And maybe, if I’m lucky, I’ll get a massage thrown in too!

Rachel Pieh Jones June 13, 2013 at 4:16 am - Reply

I took Henry to someplace at Junction. Didn’t go so well. Good luck!

3. Heather Caliri June 12, 2013 at 1:26 pm - Reply

Worst haircut I ever got was abroad. I get nervous telling my hairdresser what I want in ENGLISH.

Rachel Pieh Jones June 13, 2013 at 4:16 am - Reply

Bummer that I found one I love in MN. I guess that means that once every two years I will have a good cut.

4. Lana June 12, 2013 at 6:35 pm - Reply

Funny, a girl last year totally ruined my hair. And the language barrier was not the problem. She and I had a long conversation about it just fine.

Rachel Pieh Jones June 13, 2013 at 4:16 am - Reply

Oh no…

5. Mary August 16, 2013 at 3:03 pm - Reply

I remember when I got my hair cut the first time in the market in the Philippines. Then, later, when I found a little salon, the guy made fun of me, saying he could tell I had my hair cut “somewhere cheap”. How could he tell? “Well, you have lice!” he told me!

6. […] hair is in dire need of a hairdresser but I’ve been saving up for a Curly Cuts day in Minneapolis. Haircuts here are expensive so […]