In Which I Am Played By Mireille Enos. Or, the Modern Love Podcast.

Home/Djibouti Life, Expat Thoughts/In Which I Am Played By Mireille Enos. Or, the Modern Love Podcast.

In Which I Am Played By Mireille Enos. Or, the Modern Love Podcast.

So, this crazy thing happened.

My Modern Love essay was published on the Modern Love Podcast.

Sometimes Tom and I talk about who would play us in the movie of our lives. I usually say I don’t want a movie of my life and I don’t want anyone to play me because it just doesn’t seem interesting enough. He usually says he wants to play himself. That can give you quite a view into our marriage and personalities. But…Mireille Enos (Big Love, The Catch, The Killing) plays me in this podcast!

It took me hours to summon the courage to listen, and some encouragements from people who said they cried.

Lucy and I listened to it together this morning and she was enraptured by the story, her story.

It feels a little surreal. But, yeah, Mireille Enos (of the TV show The Catch) chose my Modern Love essay, A Child of Two Worlds, to read and this week it went live.

I wrote the piece almost 6 years ago, the birth it describes took place almost 12 years ago. So much has changed. The hospital mentioned doesn’t exist anymore, there are more options for women to give birth in other locations, but some of the same issues persist. It all seems so long ago.

Mireille did an incredible job with the reading, evoking emotion and depth. Her voice is gentle and rich and descriptive. It is strange to hear your work read by someone else, but I enjoyed it and the quality doesn’t get any better than the NYT and this lovely actress.

I’ll tell you more about producing this and about how I nearly vomited after the recording in another post.

For now, click here to listen to the Modern Love Podcast and A Child of Two Worlds.

1. Ruth April 14, 2017 at 5:17 pm - Reply

Congratulations! How exciting to be in this column (one of my favorites) and on the podcast (also one of my favorites). It’s a wonderful essay. I gave birth in Haiti, and while I had good experiences, I can relate to a lot of what you wrote about.

2. Carla April 15, 2017 at 12:27 am - Reply

Rachel,

I recently listened to your piece on the Modern Love podcast. I listened to it early in the morning, while exercising. There I was, with my legs up against the wall, listening to you describe the stark accommodations for giving birth where you are, and the general, “Quit your whining and push already!” attitude toward childbirth and thinking, “How brave she is!” I enjoyed your piece very much, and the podcast mentioned your blog, so here I am. All the best to you.

Carla (St. Paul, Minnesota)

3. Holly Newman April 15, 2017 at 3:35 am - Reply

Though I had read your essay before, I loved hearing Mireille Enos “play” you. It is a lovely, wrenching story, touching the heart of any mother. I too gave birth out of my home country, though in considerably less harrowing circumstances. Thanks for sharing your unique and courageous experience.

4. Betsy April 15, 2017 at 10:19 am - Reply

The cast was lovely in every way. It’s a story worth re-telling, and I’m glad they recognized that.

Rachel Pieh Jones April 22, 2017 at 6:31 am - Reply

They did a great job. It was so much fun to listen, especially with my daughter.

5. Dina April 18, 2017 at 10:14 pm - Reply

Loved your essay! I was surprised and pleased to hear Djibouti mentioned on one of my favorite podcasts. I spent a year there and wanted to thank you for writing about your experience and bringing a greater awareness of this little country. Hope you and your family are doing well.

6. Lexi Robertson April 20, 2017 at 9:57 pm - Reply

I just listened to your podcast yesterday, and now I can’t wait to read more of your work. Your story was by far one of my favorite Modern Love podcasts (I’m an avid follower). My favorite part of your story was how you chose to have birth via the “Djibouti way”, even though you certainly had other options. No wonder your relationship with your community deepened after showing respect for one of the most central aspects of their culture. Thank you for sharing, although we may never meet in person, you helped me understand something new about another part of the world.
    With love from Reno, NV, USA,
    -Lexi

Rachel Pieh Jones April 22, 2017 at 6:33 am - Reply

Great to hear from you, Lexi. I’m so glad to ‘introduce’ Djibouti to you this way.