Here is a small sampling of recipes in the cookbook:
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp oregano
1 1/2 cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
- Combine, use or store.
- Mix and match the spices to taste. Stores well, so amounts can be doubled, tripled, quadrupled…
4 heaped Tbsp milk powder
1 1/2 liters filtered or demineralized water
2 Tbsp plain yogurt
This is for two jars.
- In each glass put milk powder. Pour in some water, mix well with the milk powder and fill up until 1 cm under the upper ‘ring’.
- Pour the rest of the water into a pan and bring to boil.
- In the meantime put yogurt in each glass, mix well.
- When water boils, fill glasses (always stirring) to the top. Close, shake well. Keep warm for 8-12 hours (in a cooler or wrapped in towels).
- Put in refrigerator. If you work with clean tools and always use clean spoons, you can work with the same starter yogurt for several months.
Beet Bundt Cake
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar (or half sugar and half honey, can use white sugar)
4 squares of 1 oz chocolate or 4 Tbsp cocoa
2 cups puréed, cooked beets
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
- Cream 3/4 cup butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, mix well.
- Melt chocolate with remaining butter, stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Blend chocolate mixture, beets and vanilla into the creamed mixture.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture and mix well. Pour into greased and floured 10-inch fluted tube pan. Bake at 375 F for 45-55 minutes. Before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Kids think this is chocolate cake!
Curried Coconut Chicken
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 tsp each salt and pepper
1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
Tbsp curry powder
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (14 oz) can coconut milk
4-6 tomatoes, diced
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce (or 1/2 can tomato paste mixed with water)
3 Tbsp sugar
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil and curry powder in a large skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes. Stir in onion and garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add chicken, tossing lightly to coat with curry oil. Reduce heat and cook 7-10 minutes.
- Pour coconut milk, tomatoes, tomato sauce and sugar into the pan and stir to combine. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20-30 minutes.
Serve over rice
Hewitt’s Carrot Cake
3 cups grated carrot
1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
- Combine all cake ingredients.
- Pour into greased 9×13 inch pan. Bake in preheated oven at 350 F for 35 minutes.
- Combine powdered sugar and cream cheese to preferred taste and texture. Spread over cooled cake.